Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Not Entirely Kosher Eggless Egg Salad

June 2012




This.



This is why writers write.



“Because they have to”- so says the quote but so say-eth me: Writing is how one measures, how one traces, how one can both see and follow your own self. And track- and put pieces together.



A year later I read salami and milk and am - not nostalgic but it is like looking at an old slide of myself, as if I took a swab rubbed it across a wee bit of glass, labeled it, stored it, stowed it and now - right now this minute I am both the microscope and the slide I’m looking at.



I’ll be brief: I took to vegetarianism and veganism quite easily.- (though I still I get tripped up at “grow the hell up” and “who the hell do we think we are!” (GOTO (or wait 4/for) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



I don’t think I would have eaten meat had I grown up on a farm. I’m not sure how I would have felt about the sheep and the goats but I can’t even do fish or shellfish.



Recently I saw a lobster in a tank - more than one. In my getting greater and greater physical sensation back ... I saw this one lobster that I really wanted to

a) bring the lobster home

b) have the money to get a saltwater tank so as to

c) rehab him back into the ocean -(where s/he may never have even been)



Lobsters can live to be over a hundred years old- they’re like sea turtles.



It just seems to me that as

a) we have poisoned their environment

b) hunted and eaten near everything to the point of extinction

c) enslaved many in food prisons/animal jails

d) the least we can do, given all that, is to stop eating them-

e)humans have made the world a torture for nearly every living thing, including ourselves.



Anyway, so I saw this one lobster- stronger than the rest - trying to get out like s/he knew some asshole was going to boil him… but more over like some part of him/her knew there was sand and an ocean out there somewhere.



S/he wasn’t for going quietly into the pot or sitting idly by in the tank ,s/he - and only s/he still moved - all the rest were alive but dead- just nothing. The one with the blue rubber bands though- s/he was very much still a lobster, not some future food but a genuine living crustacean.



Anyway- I saw this lobster who has probably lived his or her entire existence on a completely flat surface- that doesn’t give or move, is not sand or mud or variable and in that torturous. The surface they’re on =pain = repetitive pressure points without the natural variance of random . Plus I think the lobsters have gone blind- they’re not supposed to be in high light environments? Though it could be the hertz rotations… which I utterly relate to



Let’s say s/he was wild caught. Wild caught and rarely saw and see their own kind.



Anyway- I wanted to spring this one lobster- the one who could see the edge of the tank and was trying to get out. And if I had the money to blow- hey you-

you who may have some money to blow

and a tank



consider having a pet lobster with the ultimate goal being:

freedom.



Again: they live to be over a hundred years old (like parrots) so plan for your lobster ‘s future. As water creature companions they’re way better than fish and wouldn’t that be great to rescue a lobster?



In the world of me- yes, yes it would.



I know- people aren’t like that. But I am.



I don’t really even believe in pets anymore. Mostly I just see captive slaves who no longer know how to hunt being treated poorly by very inconsiderate uprights who happen to have digits.



!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find meat to be what it is: murder.





!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eggs? who the f*** do we think we are!



!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Milk? grow the heck up.



We have thumbs and machinery which means we’re not allowed to act as if we aren’t choosing. Because it is not as though without meat, eggs, milk and fish one will starve in the suburbs or the city. Ya’ won’t.



I feel very badly for all the factory animals. Though I am glad people are keeping chickens and I just wish they could run around everywhere- same thing with the goats, sheep and cows. And beefalo hunters should be shot on sight.



I remember my parents and one branch of cousins were really frightening when they ate. It wasn’t just that they were shovel-ers ( my parents) but that the cousins were also ravenous. Ravenous carnivores (I suspect there’s rather an association- I know I’ve never heard of a serial killer who is a vegetarian- but back to my ravenous omnivore- in carnivore mode cousins)



I remember a platter full of hamburgers on Kaiser rolls at a dinner table in Greenwich Connecticut.





I remember being genuinely afraid and frightened that one of my cousins might grab my arm by mistake.



They grabbed and ate so fast that having one‘s hand too close to a plate - being bitten by mistake seemed a genuine risk and time hasn‘t made it seem less so. (5 kids. Girls=nearly six feet Boys=almost seven feet tall (honest to God (they’re giants)))



But I guess that’s how you grow giants?



Anyway- Martha, my mother, always said I was “sensitive” I cried when an animal was killed on Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. She said “Sensitive”sa in “too” but I say I was probably always intended to a be a double V, vegetarianism and veganism, a vv. A Vv or vv - not be confused with a w because just because two things look nearly alike doesn’t make them anywhere near the same thing.



Truth is- for anyone who thinks they’re a good cook and may actually be one- going V or double V is scary. There are some things that texturally you’ll miss for awhile and there are some tricks for that- and that is the thing: going V and double Vv is the is the ultimate iron chef home challenge because-



Picture this scene:



It is summer (2011) and I am craving egg salad.



I am craving egg salad because for me egg salad on pumpernickel or rye is part of summer.



As I am/was craving egg salad I am simultaneously not okay with how the factory chickens are living and I do not care what the label says because u food industry are not credible.





I hear there are some local chickens- well I would have to personally know the chicken and even with that given how all species but ourselves are nearly gone. The chicken in question sitting on some should be able to be outside pecking at bugs, running around on dirt and grasses and seeing sky. Feeling wind. Rain. Life.



The factory chicken life is utterly unacceptable.



All of that doesn’t change that summer for me is and/or was egg salad season.



I was craving egg salad which I didn’t and wouldn’t buy or prepare because of first/1 conscience and 2 animal products seem increasingly grosser and grosser and meaner and meaner all the time. But despite all that me and or the combination of me and my body was really jones-ing for some egg salad.



What I missed, what I was craving was the textural experience of my summer memories of egg salad.



Should you ever find yourself in such a fix: craving the textural experience of egg salad while attempting to go vegan + vegetarian=vv but it is spring/summer, the season of deviled eggs and egg salad here‘s what helped me through (?):



NOT ENTIRELY KOSHER EGGLESS EGG SALAD



Great northern beans (cooked very soft)

Guldens mustard (there is no substitute)

Mayo (I know, I know I know- it is my biggest remaining weakness/challenge/etc) - of course the Mayo can b and was (b4 or after) substituted with a low-no flavor coconut oil.

Rice cakes (Stick with me- I swear this is good- yes I used the White Cheddar variety but vv, like most and such things are done best progressively- as in progressing toward )

Diced Avocado (the textural thing = the rice cake + the avocado)

Salt if thoroughly desired and needed

and tomato if you were into that.



Equipment: food processor or emulsion blender for beans + mustard + Mayo/oil (I use/d a low flavor coconut). Spread onto rice cake. Sprinkle on diced avocado.



Texturally and taste wise your palette will be oh so close to fooled your brain will believe its having what it said it wanted: egg salad.



Anyway, worked for me…and yes I do realize that it is/was not completely kosher as in if kosher were vegan it wasn’t . And yes I realize contributory to this meal were ill treated cows and chickens housed in horrible conditions who probably never saw the outdoors and if they did were on high doses of antibiotics because they were caged together like slaves on a ship or Jews on a train to Au-



-oh now I know I have to have offended someone.



I’m sorry but that is where I’m at…and actually no I am not sorry. Human history has been what we will do and how we will perceive and do to a human we have also designated as less than or meat or, etc. .So if you are offended or find my view xtreme I am not only not sorry but really just plain don’t care.





Now on the with show -a time capsule (and yes I know I need to jpg or PDF but I am both severely technically and financially challenged- so I’ll get to it when I get to it.) I’ll repost the recipes - especially the frozen strawberry squares because it was always a hit and some people have Ballard High School prom memories of it.



As for total veg-ness- I am not there yet but I believe/d it would be a process.



Most everything is.